OUR NETWORK: CompTIA TechLore DijitCommunity TiVoCommunity MyOpenRouter About UsAdvertiseContact Us
The Largest Online Community
for Software CEOs and Executives.

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 7643.41
September 29, 2010 01:20 PM

Categories: Marketing and PR

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

mfowler

I am working on the service which allows blog owners to distribute their content in a printer form by regular mail. Every blog reader will be able to subscribe to his favorite blogs and receive it as a newspaper.
1) How can I do a marketing research to see how many people are ready to use it and how much they are ready to pay?
2) How can I evaluate the market size for this service? like $10M or $100000 or ... ?

Thank you

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-9 of 9 | Latest Comment

September 29, 2010 1:50 PM

Wow, you're really bucking a trend here...talk to all of the newspaper folks. I can't think of an idea that is swimming upstream against what's going on with people's habits than this one. Having said that, maybe there's a niche opportunity--my guess is with older folks.

What is the reason that you decided to provide such a service? Did you see a real need for this--or are you doing it just because you can?

New businesses should be driven from unmet needs. If you believe there is an unmet need here, who has it? Who is the prime prospect?

You need to characterize what your prime prospect looks like. Then there are any number of standard market research methods available to size the market, establish price sensitivity, etc.

But until you have an idea what your main customer looks like, it's hard to do market research.

Phil Morettini
PJM Consulting
Moretti on Management Blog
http://twitter.com/TechnologyGuy
+1 858 792 1062

September 29, 2010 2:02 PM

I agree, this is swimming uphill. But I can see where some people might be interested in this. Perhaps older people who prefer reading in a comfortable chair holding paper to squinting at a monitor. Perhaps people who don't have regular/easy internet access. Perhaps people who like to have paper files of useful info.

I'm not sure it fits the "software" category though, even though you'll be using software to deliver. This might be more of a "content" thing. I would dig a little into eContent and MarketingSherpa's articles/conferences on selling content.

Bottom line... You need to run the idea by a fair number of people and see if you can find folks who are interested, then find out why. Once you have that information, you'll be in a better place to do estimates of market size and potential.

September 29, 2010 3:20 PM

pmorettini,

A lot of people prefer to read things in a printed form, especially older than teenagers. I see my coworkers print out some materials from the Internet and read it on the train on their way to work. There is research that proves that you can read it much faster in a printed format compared to a computer screen. Another reason is when I read something online I don't follow it regularly, I just do it from time to time until I forget about this site. If I have newspaper/magazine delivered to my door I will read it for sure... I personally like reading magazines, but I am already tired of Times and Business Week, I would rather read some forums/blogs which are closer to my interests. Well, I discussed this idea with some printing companies and they were quite interested since they already have infrastructure... If you Google you will find that there are several sites which offers services related to distribution some content in a printed form, e.g. www.magcloud.com And finally... there are some special cases like people with limited access to computer, senior people, people who don't like computers, and so on.

Hope I answered your question.

September 29, 2010 3:40 PM

The idea is to create a service that turns any blog into a newspaper delivered to your door.... so imagine how many time newspapers market can growth?

There are 266 million Internet users in America, they all are my potential customers... 1/1000 or 1/10000 could be interested in my service...

September 29, 2010 6:03 PM

I understand, and you may be right. There may be a market. However, saying "if only 1/10,000 of the 266 million Internet Users want my product" doesn't define a market. Many people have gone broke in the software business with that strategy.

Who are they? What do they really want? Where do they congregate (either virtually or in the physical world) so I can target them easily? How do I market to them?

As I said before, you must find out what your potential customer looks like. Only them can you count them and decide how most effectively to market to them.

Phil Morettini
PJM Consulting
+1 858 792 1062

October 1, 2010 10:29 AM

I was thinking of publishing a poll on several discussion forums with some questions like ¬?would you use such a service?¬?¬? but I realized that people who would answer my question are not my target audience and they would say that they wouldn¬?t use it at all.

October 1, 2010 10:40 AM

I would first hypothesize who these folks might be: Older folks? People getting physical newspapers or magazines currently? (I get both, and would never use your service). Then try to talk to them directly so that you can try to figure out what they might have in common.

Then, with that knowledge, you can try to figure out where they congregate and then use a more objective research method such as a survey or poll. But you need to converge on what your "prime prospect" might look like using more subjective research methods before these online methods would become real useful. If you just approach the Internet population as a whole, you won't get accurate results for your key questions.

Phil Morettini
PJM Consulting
+1 858 792 1062

October 1, 2010 10:42 AM

I don't know why they wouldn't be.

If I were in your shoes, I think what I'd do is ask people which blogs, if any, they would prefer to read on paper.

The answers might give you some insight into which people might be your most promising audience.

You could try tweeting that... Or post it on Facebook in some groups. Or ask in discussion forums.

December 23, 2010 4:22 AM

Free Photoshop Print Templates:
this is very useful to blogs and site and also used to add photos to your facebook acounts.
go to this site and you will get details.
URL: http://www.printriver.blogspot.com/

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-9 of 9 | Latest Comment

You must login to discuss this item.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window