OUR NETWORK: CompTIA TechLore DijitCommunity TiVoCommunity MyOpenRouter About UsAdvertiseContact Us
The Largest Online Community
for Software CEOs and Executives.

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 3780.29
October 28, 2009 04:56 AM

Categories: Strategy and Leadership

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

mmunir

I am a senior software engineering working in a software company in Pakistan as senior oracle developer.

I want to start my software company in my home city where there are currently just 3-4 software companies working. There are many leather and surgical industries with all the work going on manually.

There are certain problems that i want to discuss with you:
1- People are addicted to software piracy, they are not mentally prepared to pay me much for cost of software.

2- Industry CEO prefer to use manual system as they are basically against the change, consider it risky, and do not want to bear the additional expense to buy a computer, softwares and then hire some individual to run them.

3- I do not have budget to start some company. But i plan to develop product at home alone and then sell it.

What do you think?

How should i start the company and convince the people to buy the software applications?

Thanks,

Moazzam

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-2 of 2 | Latest Comment

October 28, 2009 10:23 AM

You clearly have serious challenges before you.

You are missing a key ingredient for success though. You appear to be driven simply by the need to "start your own software company". That is not why you should start a company.

A succesful business starts with the premise that you are going to be addressing an un-tapped need of buyers (customers). Better still, offering something unique. And even better still, a LARGE un-tapped market with many potential buyers, such that you can make an ongoing living at it.

In the US, up until recently,if you had a great product idea/concept ... as well as the ability to demonstrate you know what you are doing and can build a team to execute on your idea, you would be able to get financing (not easily though) to get your business off the ground. But Pakistan it seems, is another world entirely. I just don't know.

All the way from here, I can't think of even one succesful software company based in Pakistan. It seems it is a place where companies here (North America) outsource work to, to get done cheaply, but not the place where great ideas are born. Maybe continuing to be an outsourcing resource is your best avenue forward given your realities.

---

Robert Dubicki

October 29, 2009 2:15 PM

I agree that you don't want to pour your heart and soul into a solution without a problem. If your market isn't ready to accept software as a way to solve their problems, are you prepared to invest YEARS of effort and $$ to educate that market?

That said, if you still want to move forward, you might consider the following approach. Whatever solution you come up with, I assume it will be designed to either save your client money (in man hours or material waste), reduce your client's risk, or perhaps it will give your client a competitive edge.

Regardless, you should be able to make a case for why using your software will improve their top or bottom line. You should be able to state (and clearly demonstrate) the top or bottom line improvements your client can expect. Then instead of them paying for your software, offer to take a percentage of those improvements, up to a certain amount.

It's a very risky way to go, but it might help you land that first client, which will be by far your toughest.

Michael Hayes President & CEO Hayes Software Systems

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-2 of 2 | Latest Comment

You must login to discuss this item.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window