OUR NETWORK: CompTIA TechLore DijitCommunity TiVoCommunity MyOpenRouter About UsAdvertiseContact Us
The Largest Online Community
for Software CEOs and Executives.

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 57000.2
May 20, 2009 02:59 PM

Categories: Human Resources

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Pending Member Avatar

successcc

Pending Member

I'm looking for advice and/or resources to help us to evaluate the possibility of hiring a staff java programmer. We are launching our first product (saas for a relatively large vertical market in the US). We've outsourced everything to date and I can't shake the feeling that with one good programmer onsite, we'd have several times the work output for what we pay to oursource...plus the ability to quickly deploy tweaks and minor product enhancements.

The specific things we'd greatly appreciate any advice on are:

1) What would a good java programmer cost? I'm expecting in the $60k to $100k range.

2) Is it reasonable to expect to find a talented programmer who would value an equity position or profit-based bonus structure with a reduced starting salary in lieu of a market salary alone? Any particular pros/cons with this option?

3) Not being a Java programmer (or really any kind of programmer for that matter), I feel like we almost need a consultant to help us to hire the right talent. Are there firms that will do this or are there resources out there to help to evaluate the skills and talents of a potential hire (other than reference checks)?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-7 of 7 | Latest Comment

May 20, 2009 11:33 PM

Your compensation is in the correct range based on what you have identified as the skills. You need to define the specific tasks and expectations clearly if you want success. Your outsourcing is a common approach, but if you need more control or flexibility, the in-sourcing a consultant or perm employee may be a good approach.
2. Most techie's are not interested in equity- they favor cash and incentives for production related results.
3. Before you hire a consultant to help you hire a java person, you must define the scope of work and desired outcomes. What impact do you expect to receive and within what timeline. There are many firms that could assist you. Do you have any colleagues that have used such firms; what is your geographical location; when do you want the person to start; etc.

Always choose a technology focused firm versus the likes of Manpower or ??? Make sure you read the contract before you sign or engage them. Look for "guarantees" based on performance. Ask them if they do technical testing of candidates and that you want to see the scores and what test they utilize.

My personal/professional experience suggests that you use your network and take time to find the right person and don't accept anything less than what you really need.

Jeff Schrader
Logical Consulting Services, Inc.
www.logicalcs.com

August 18, 2009 3:53 PM

You may have hired the wrong outsourcing company.

Your situation should tell you that your company isn't prepared to bring the development in-house as you don't even know how to begin the search for a full-time developer.

You should probably bring in a consultant to help you find the answers to your current problems. Find a consultant that doesn't write code (so there won't be a conflict of interest) but instead helps software development organizations find answers to development problems like the ones you're having.

View unverified member's comment - posted by successcc

August 19, 2009 11:22 AM

Why don't we get a communication line going. I recently (last year) moved from contract programming to product development/sales and may be able to give you some general guidance.

Keep in mind any comments I provide would need to be researched by you because I would be speaking from my perspective which you would then need to "apply" to your situation.

In other words I'm not gonna' be a consultant for you but just an industry colleague talking shop.

Let me know if you want to talk via email and we'll share contact info.

August 25, 2009 4:21 PM

Let me address question 3. There are firms out there that specialize in finding software engineers (i.e. - .net, Java, C++, etc.). It's easy to use tools like http://salary.com, to find acceptable pay ranges for Java programmers. I used to be a Java programmer for 4 years and what motivates Java programmers varies:
1. Some like the intellectual challenge of solving a program.
2. Some are motivated by the money and benefits.
3. Some are motivated by a short commute.
4. Some like a virtual working environment
5. Other would like the company culture.
6. Etc.
One can learn the basics of good Java programming from community colleges like Harper and College of DuPage. Other university like Northern Illinois University also teach good Java programming skills. There are also online testing services to screen candidates for Java programming skills online.
Randy Kemp
Blog: http://b2b-techcopy.net
Company http://b2b-techcopy.com

View unverified member's comment - posted by Robert Crawford

April 1, 2013 2:41 AM

Hiring for java programmer, fist should take the interview about the java like oops, java programming, jsp, serve-let, advance java etc. If he has knowledge about these, you can hire.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-7 of 7 | Latest Comment

You must login to discuss this item.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window