OUR NETWORK: CompTIA TechLore DijitCommunity TiVoCommunity MyOpenRouter About UsAdvertiseContact Us
The Largest Online Community
for Software CEOs and Executives.

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 53429.2
July 27, 2008 06:48 PM

Categories: Licensing Issues

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

davferg

Anyone recommend a seat management license tool that can be embedded in a software product? Looking for something that provides online registration and tracking of license keys to support a new product with seat licenses. Similar to how Adobe does their Professional software now, if you use a serial key that you used previously, it will transfer the new key to that laptop and if you try to start the older install it will no longer work.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-13 of 13 | Latest Comment

July 29, 2008 1:21 PM

You could check out moderator Dominic Haigh's company, http://agilis-sw.com .

July 29, 2008 4:01 PM

You may have several options but let me talk about the one I know :-)

Your scenario sounds like a straightforward one to manage with our Orion Network Licensing Platform - used as a hosted server, and managing each license with Orion's Floating Named User model, you can ensure that only one instance of each user license is active at any one time. You can also control whether a given user or pool of users is allowed to relocate their license, and how often they can do so (e.g. not more than once a week). All the license and license relocation details are recorded in Orion too. For details, please drop by http://agilis-sw.com/ActivationLandingPage.htm or contact me at the address below. Thanks.

(Charles, thanks for the mention).

Dominic Haigh

July 30, 2008 9:13 AM

Just so that this thread does not seem like a total advertisement for Agilis, let me add that I believe most of the major license product companies can do this. (Of course, I'd prefer to see you give moderator Dominic's company the business.)

This is the advantage of using a licensing product rather than trying to roll your own: these guys have thought of most of the options and already implemented them. They've also already been "tested" by the Russian kids.

July 30, 2008 2:34 PM

You could check out moderator Dominic Haigh's company, http://agilis-sw.com .

Thanks, I will take a look at the website. Thanks for the info!

September 29, 2008 11:03 AM

You may have several options but let me talk about the one I know :-)

Your scenario sounds like a straightforward one to manage with our Orion Network Licensing Platform - used as a hosted server, and managing each license with Orion's Floating Named User model, you can ensure that only one instance of each user license is active at any one time. You can also control whether a given user or pool of users is allowed to relocate their license, and how often they can do so (e.g. not more than once a week). All the license and license relocation details are recorded in Orion too. For details, please drop by http://agilis-sw.com/ActivationLandingPage.htm or contact me at the address below. Thanks.

(Charles, thanks for the mention).

Dominic Haigh

Dominic, we looked at the tool and like it but there is only 1 concern. It appears that there is no way to do phone registration for people who cannot connect to the internet for activation? The only way appears to be for them to install an activation server on their network which is not desirable. Is there a way for the 5% of people who cannot activate over the internet (secure environments as an example) to be able to use the phone to speak to a person in our technical support who can license them? (I assume that our person would use some interface or get a valid key from the agilis-sw online activation system?) Our team is currently saying without that we couldnt use this tool, but otherwise it is a great system. thanks

September 30, 2008 7:06 PM

Again, not to turn this into an ad for Agilis, but I'm happy to say how our solution addresses this concern.

There are several options for obtaining licenses on disconnected systems, because of course some users will be on isolated internal networks, or can't get network access from their target system and so forth. The primary disconnected method is what we call 'sneakernet', where the user uploads an encrypted file (generated at activation time) to the Orion server's self-service web page at any web browser; the license server then returns their encrypted activation file, which the user walks back over to their target system. Alternatively, they can email the file to your operations people, who generate the activation file and send it back to the user by email. However, our customers usually find that if a user has access to email, they also have access to a browser screen somewhere (and the browser-based option has the advantage of requiring no operations support from you). The end result is exactly the same as for connected systems: the license is activated within the limits you specified for that user, and automatically locked to your chosen parameters of the user's systems.

Other options might apply where you have large customers with isolated internal networks. Such networks usually have a few 'DMZ' systems with both internal and external network access. In these scenarios license activation and relocation can be done automatically via a proxy server on a DMZ machine.

We have a number of customers deploying into secure environments in the finance and defense sectors. They've found the above options allow them to support all their end-users.

The phone is not a good option for activation as you can't reliably transmit more than 15 or so characters in a call, and that doesn't allow for any richness of licensing (e.g. configuring options, setting time limits, setting usage counts, capturing user data and so forth - all readily supported by the other activation approaches).

Hope this helps!

Dominic

September 30, 2008 7:12 PM

thanks! Yes this addresses our issues, I dont think we were able to get that info from the website. Thanks for your help.

October 1, 2008 5:36 PM

FYI, I did find this answered in the FAQ's:

http://agilis-sw.com/orion/faqansactivation.htm#5

Lisa

October 10, 2008 8:10 AM

Hi,
I believe that Adobe use Acresso's (formally Macrovision) FLEXnet Publisher system for this. This provides activatable licenses as well as floating (i.e. concurrent/network) for your larger customer sites.

October 14, 2008 3:55 PM

As a regular reader and indeed in competiton with Dom at Agilis I do find it a little alarming that it seems *fine* to just represent his company in questions like this.

If softwareCEO is in fact meant to be an *independent* source of information then frankly he should not be plugging his wares or he should at least be covering all the solutions available?

Obviously Dom is working without pay and needs some recompense for his efforts but this does seem a little one-sided and biased to me?

On that basis is is really of value to paying customers of SoftwareCEO and in their best interests?

Jon Gillespie-Brown
CEO, Nalpeiron.
www.nalpeiron.com

October 14, 2008 4:22 PM

I can see how you'd feel that way. I'm guessing that some of the features that Dom was speaking about that were specific to the situation and less useful generally could have been discussed offline.

I can't speak for other moderators but I'm pretty sure they try to keep the self-promotion to a minimum.

But perhaps, the real solution here is for YOU to become more active... In that way you could offer your expertise which I am sure would complement Dominic's and provide richer content for all.

Just a thought...

Best regards,

Jim Geisman

[COLOR=DarkRed][B][URL="http://www.softwarepricing.com"]Software Pricing Partners, Inc.[/URL] [COLOR=Black]+508-647-0330[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]

October 28, 2008 1:15 PM

Anyone recommend a seat management license tool that can be embedded in a software product? Looking for something that provides online registration and tracking of license keys to support a new product with seat licenses. Similar to how Adobe does their Professional software now, if you use a serial key that you used previously, it will transfer the new key to that laptop and if you try to start the older install it will no longer work.

Other companies to look at include: Byteshield and Microsoft SLPS.

August 20, 2012 3:28 PM

We tried License4J License Manager (http://www.license4j.com/) which provides some solutions, any toughts.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-13 of 13 | Latest Comment

You must login to discuss this item.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window