OUR NETWORK: CompTIA TechLore DijitCommunity TiVoCommunity MyOpenRouter About UsAdvertiseContact Us
The Largest Online Community
for Software CEOs and Executives.

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 164344.0
June 21, 2008 02:32 PM

Categories: Operations and Legal

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Charles Mills

I have volunteered to help a local non-profit implement a volunteer scheduling solution. There is no incumbent software. (They've recently lost, due to funding cuts, a volunteer coordinator that was on part-time loan from another non-profit organization.) I know a lot about software in general (ahem) but freely admit I know nothing about employee scheduling software per se or about non-profit software per se.

They are looking for a Web-based application that would let volunteers enter the hours for which they were available and would then allow staff to select available volunteers for assignments. Of course, the budget is extremely limited. The application could be vendor-hosted, or we could probably get a local ISP to host it at little or minimal charge.
A Google search on has yielded half a dozen or more promising hits, such as WhenToHelp. But I thought I would come here and see what the community had to offer.

- Is anyone reading this note in the business of providing this sort of solution, or do you have experience with this sort of solution?

- Is there any general "directory" type resource for software for non-profits? (For example, similar to a site I have used which listed software for schools.)

- Does anyone know of a Web-based volunteer scheduling solution that is free of charge?

Thanks! I think replies here on the site are best, but if you don't want to post publicly, you can e-mail me at charlesm at mcn dot org.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-9 of 9 | Latest Comment

June 21, 2008 4:03 PM

Charles,

CiviCRM includes volunteer management and other features. Its open source and runs as an add in to Drupal or Joomla.

http://civicrm.org

Also - I will be out of town next week and without cell/internet so keep the lights on.

Mark

June 23, 2008 2:40 PM

I have a tool called Church Director that offers methods for scheduling volunteers to specific events. It is more course-grained than Outlook (no time slots, just events), but works quite well for a number of non-profits.

Give it a try at http://www.churchdirector.com and let me know what you think!

June 23, 2008 4:18 PM

Thanks, Mark and J. Anyone else?

CiviCRM looks like it might be overkill for an organization with (I now know) about 30 volunteers and no previous IT experience.

I am going to present Church Director to them but I am worried that they may be put off by the name. It's a secular organization, and I'm sure among the volunteers there are atheists and Humanists, and for all I know, Wiccas (this being California, after all).

June 23, 2008 4:28 PM

Have you seen www.samaritan.com? I don't know what the budget is and this might not be feasible, but it does seem to have the features you're looking for.

I checked to see if one of my previous employers, who provides non-profit fund-raising software, had a volunteer management module, but they do not.

Lisa

June 23, 2008 5:32 PM

What is their pricing like? They have less information on their Web pages than the other products I have been glancing at.

I don't know the budget either. I've got a meeting tomorrow to discuss. I suspect it is "how little can we get away with." The other products I have been glancing at seem to be in the vicinity of $200/year. (And frankly, as I guy who used to publish 5-digit corporate products, I don't understand how anyone keeps the lights on, much less makes money, at $200/year.)

June 25, 2008 4:49 AM

Years ago, I actually worked with some of the guys from Samaritan Software on a project we were doing for a non-profit. I think they were just starting then, but they seemed like good people. I can't say much about their software, as I wasn't closely involved in that part and I'm sure it's evolved since I dealt with them nearly 10 years ago.

September 24, 2011 1:50 AM updated: December 21, 2013 2:55 AM

Take a look at eResource scheduler to schedule and plan your resources. Resources can be staff/employee or non human resource. The software offers you timesheet, resource utilization reports, resource forecasting report, drag & drop scheduling, etc. Check out the website www.eresourcescheduler.com for a free trial or take a demo tour video of the software.

February 28, 2012 11:09 PM

Hi Nancy

Are there any special requirements for the software before installing it on my PC.. ? I mean any kind of additional software packages..!!

August 21, 2012 10:03 AM

Hello!

We would like to introduce ourselves as a software development company. We are looking for business partners who can source us projects. You need not invest anything for this. We work on a very transparent and lucrative model and you can look forward to high incomes if you join hands with us. For any details please feel free to contact us at info@netlinkgroup.in or sagar329@gmail.com.

In this model you can always send the quotations for the projects that you bring to your end client using your banner. That means you may add as much of the mark up depending upon your client and we will not have a say in this as we will not be interacting with your client directly. We will be working with you instead. The best part is you need Not Invest anything towards the cost of development of the project. This will be realised from the client who pays You First and you pay us after you Receive the money, as per the milestones as agreed upon

In case you are waiting to get more details please feel free to touch base with us at the details provided below.

We look forward to a long term relationship with you.

Thanks and Regards

Sagar

email: info@netlinkgroup.in
(M) +91-9830425190

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-9 of 9 | Latest Comment

You must login to discuss this item.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window