OUR NETWORK:CompTIA TechLore DijitCommunity TiVoCommunity MyOpenRouter About UsAdvertiseContact Us
The Largest Online Community
for Software CEOs and Executives.

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 162348.0
December 21, 2010 04:45 AM

Categories: Strategy and Leadership

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Siva2005

Dear all,

It is generally so that CEO or the Founder of a company need to look into and get himself involved in all the aspects of the business like finance, accounting, legal, management, operations, sales, marketing, development, human resource etc. especially when the company is bootstrapping or small.

My question is which aspect bears most importance, I assume all are equally important and the CEO/Founder need to HAVE expertise in all of them. Is it so?

If so, what is the level of skill, expertise, qualification or working knowledge required to handle the current (small startup) organization. Moreover, what expertise is needed when the CEO finds himself in a medium to large organization (with international presence).

Which of the following educational/professional qualification will help him?

1) MBA (with which specialization/major - Finance, Marketing, HR, or International Business?)

2) Professional courses like Chartered Accountancy Course

or do you think both of the above courses will be useful in the LONG RUN??

Appreciate your inputs - moderators and members.

Thanks & Regards,

Siv

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

December 23, 2010 3:22 AM

90 views...no reply.

Would appreciate Moderators inputs.

December 27, 2010 1:27 PM

Experience trumps formal education. Most of the software CEO's I know have no MBA (these are start-ups and smaller companies).

In larger companies, its a different story. The MBA types start to appear in the executive ranks for specialized areas.

I think there is no general rule of thumb, but invariably looking at the background of the CEO, they are very strong on strategy, sales and marketing (to me, its impossible to talk about one without the other). The CEO needs to be the #1 sales guy in the company. That he is not the #1 accountant or #1 engineer is less important ... but without the ability to sell, then the business makes no money.

---

Robert Dubicki

View unverified member's comment - posted by dharmendra sinha

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window